Published Date May 25, 2023
Beat the Heat with Healthy Summer Foods
By Naurin Ansari
3 min read
Summer is here, and it's time to cool down! The weather is hot and humid, so staying hydrated and eating summer foods that will help you beat the heat is important. The scorching heat and humidity can lead to dehydration and other health issues.
Sometimes you must be hungry but won’t feel like eating too heavy a meal. This blog post will discuss the 10 best foods to have in summer that won’t be too heavy and will help you stay cool and healthy.
- Watermelon - Watermelon is a delicious and refreshing fruit that is perfect for light summer meals. It is high in water content, making it ideal for staying hydrated during the hot summer months. Watermelon is also rich in vitamins A and C, which help to boost the immune system and keep the body healthy.
To ensure you choose a good watermelon amidst concerns of adulteration, a helpful tip is to lightly tap it with your knuckles. If the resulting sound is deep and hollow, it indicates a ripe watermelon and a good choice for purchase. However, avoiding buying that particular watermelon is advisable if the sound is dull or flat. This method can help you select a ripe watermelon and reduce the risk of purchasing adulterated ones.
- Cucumber - Cucumbers are another great summer food that is high in water content. They are low in calories and contain antioxidants that help protect the body from damage caused by free radicals. Cucumbers are also rich in vitamin K, which helps to keep the bones healthy.
- Berries - Such as strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries, are rich in antioxidants that help keep the body healthy. They are low in calories but have high water content, making them a perfect summer fruit salad.
- Tomatoes - Tomatoes are a versatile summer food that can be used in a variety of dishes, including salads, sandwiches, and sauces. They are rich in lycopene, a powerful antioxidant that helps protect the body from damage caused by free radicals. Tomatoes are also a good vitamin C source, which helps boost the immune system.
- Grilled Vegetables - Grilled vegetables like zucchini, peppers, and eggplant are delicious and are a great summer food. Like many other fruits on this list, they are low in calories but high in fibre, making them a great addition to hot-weather meals for those looking to keep the kilos off. Grilling also enhances the flavour of vegetables, making them a tasty addition to any summer meal.
- Yogurt - Yogurt is a great summer snack idea that is high in protein and calcium. It is also a good source of probiotics, which help maintain a healthy gut microbiome. Yogurt can be consumed as a snack, or it can be used in a variety of recipes, such as smoothies and dips.
- Iced Tea - Iced tea is a healthy refreshing drink that is perfect for hot and humid days. It is low in calories and contains antioxidants that help to protect the body from damage caused by free radicals. Iced tea can be flavoured with a variety of fruits and herbs, making it a delicious and healthy summer beverage.
- Fish - Fish, such as salmon and tuna, is a good meal for summer that is high in omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3s are essential fatty acids that help to reduce inflammation in the body and protect against heart disease. Fish is also a good source of protein, making it a great choice for those looking to maintain a healthy weight.
- Salads - Healthy summer salads are great summer food that can be customised to your liking. They are low in calories and high in fibre, making them a great choice for those looking to maintain a healthy weight. Salads can be made with various ingredients, such as leafy greens, vegetables, fruits, and nuts.
- Smoothies - Smoothies are a delicious and healthy summer drink that can be made with a variety of fruits and vegetables. They are low in calories and high in nutrients, making them a great choice for those looking to maintain a healthy weight. Smoothies can be made with yogurt, milk, or juice, making them a versatile summer drink.
Incorporating these foods into your summer diet can help you stay healthy and hydrated during the hot and humid weather. These foods are not only refreshing and delicious, but they also provide the essential nutrients that your body needs to function optimally.
Remember to stay hydrated, avoid processed foods and sugar, and focus on consuming a variety of fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins to toss up healthy summer meals and maintain a healthy diet in the summer months. With these tips, you can enjoy the summer season and stay healthy at the same time.